USBoS Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The community aspect of my blog, a place to interact with pagans of all persuasions!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hi Peoples!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
northern lights woman

Hi Peoples! Empty
PostSubject: Hi Peoples!   Hi Peoples! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 4:42 pm

Hello, all. I'm not Pagan in the strictest sense, but I'm eclectic enough to be, lol. I'm mostly Presbyterian and a little bit Mennonite with a bit of Aboriginal Spirituality thrown in there and quite a bit of interest in Paganism. I'm friends with Lisey and Lea irl.

For those who are wondering, Northern Lights Woman in my spirit name, given to me by the elder Audrey Bone in a traditional sweat lodge naming ceremony. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have, though I'm not sure if I'll be able to answer!
Back to top Go down
SpiritPhoenix

SpiritPhoenix

Hi Peoples! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Peoples!   Hi Peoples! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 5:25 pm

That's an interesting way to get your spirit name. I'd love to hear how the sweat lodge spirit name tradition works.
Back to top Go down
http://thefiredeepwithin.blogspot.com/
Gretchen

Gretchen

Hi Peoples! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Peoples!   Hi Peoples! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 1:39 am

I LOVE YOU!!!! Very Happy

<3
Back to top Go down
http://beingpagan.blogspot.com
northern lights woman

Hi Peoples! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Peoples!   Hi Peoples! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 8:08 pm

LOVE YOU TOO, LISEY!!!!!!

Spirit Phoenix, a sweat lodge ceremony is an very old tradition in aboriginal spirituality. The sweatlodge is rebuilt every year with carefully selected sticks, a blanket to absorb moisture, then a tarp and canvas on the top. They're not usually very big. The entrance always faces east, and there is a depression in the middle to put the stones in. The stones are called grandfathers, because rocks have been around longer than anything, and therefore have accumulated wisdom of ages. Everything in aboriginal spirituality has its own spirit, and rocks are the oldest of those. The fire to heat the rocks is outside the sweat lodge, and it gets sooooo warm. I was helping to build it, and it was less than 10 degrees out and i was sweating in a t-shirt within about three meters of the fire. The stones are placed in the sweat lodge with a pitchfork. The ceremony I was part of had I think 14 grandfathers. The more rocks, the hotter it gets. The elder (in this case, Morning Star Woman) sprinkled some herbs on the rocks and poured water over them, and began to chant. The chanting and the drums and shakers and steam and aroma... it was magical. The elder was chanting a prayer for each person there to ask the spirits for their spirit name and spirit colours. A spirit name and colours represent who a person truly is. It can take a lifetime to understand your own spirit name. There are so many different factors, like realm (land/heavens/sea/etc.), characteristics, historical significance, legends that talk about that object/animal...

The northern lights are said to be the spirits of the ancestors dancing. My spirit colours are green, yellow, and white, representing the earth/forest, the sun and spirit/purity. The colours mean way more than that, and do very much pertain to colour magic. When I wear these colours, in clothing, or the ribbon I have tied on my bag, the spirits will recognise me and keep me safe.
Back to top Go down
Hetshepsit
Admin
Hetshepsit

Hi Peoples! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Peoples!   Hi Peoples! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 8:36 pm

I love colour magic like that. It's really cool how much colour can do.
Back to top Go down
https://usbos.forumotion.com
Gretchen

Gretchen

Hi Peoples! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Peoples!   Hi Peoples! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 8:49 pm

Wow...Kristine that was an amazing story. I'm so very interested now. I want to go to a sweat lodge ceremony! I hope my colours include black and orange Wink I bet my name would be Scary Pumpkin Woman.
Back to top Go down
http://beingpagan.blogspot.com
SpiritPhoenix

SpiritPhoenix

Hi Peoples! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Peoples!   Hi Peoples! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 11:04 am

Wow! That sounds like such a great ceremony. Now I want to attend one too.

I love your name too. The Northern Lights and the spirits and all. Great story and a great idea. Hope to hear more about your discoveries of your name in the future.
Back to top Go down
http://thefiredeepwithin.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

Hi Peoples! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Peoples!   Hi Peoples! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi Peoples!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
USBoS Community :: Introductions and Hellos-
Jump to: